Friday, March 10, 2017

Yun Gee at the Museum of the City of New York

Profiles in Freedom
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Dr. Aubre Maynard, and Yun Gee

Dr. Maynard portrait by Yun Gee, 1942






















An excerpt from the museum blog:

Upon donating the portrait to the Museum of the City of New York in 2000, Helen [Gee] reported that she had “met Dr. Maynard when I was fifteen years old and he’d shown me great kindness. Treating me when I was ill and unable to pay for medical care. We remained lifelong friends, and a year before he died he gave me the portrait. I appreciated the gift but told him at the time that I felt it belonged in an institution rather than with me, and when I mentioned that I planned to offer it to the Museum of the City of New York, he was pleased.”


Related Posts


(Next post on Friday: Yun Gee at Lin & Keng Gallery, 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment